Thursday, September 29, 2011

Firsts

Whenever I experience new environments or big changes in life I almost always record my first impressions.  The move to Seattle is no exception.  Most of the time, my “firsts” – whether observations, experiences, thoughts, etc -  are just for me to look back on in five years and laugh at how different the outcome was from my initial feelings.  However, I also like to paint a complete picture which includes general first impressions of the area as a whole.  Besides being abundantly green, here are some of those other “brush strokes” that make up my new environment:

1) Whoever started the roadway infrastructure of this city really should have worked with someone more creative.  Every street name is a number.  OK, maybe not every street, but close to it.  I have yet to figure out any rhyme or reason to the numbering system except that when the street numbers get to big (i.e. 165th St.), they just start over at one.  Oh, and if that wasn’t difficult enough, the brilliant mind behind street numbers also tossed in directional reference (i.e. North or South) for clarification…or confusion.  So if you’re looking for directions and accidentally forget the “NE” portion of 813 NE 80th St., leave early because you’re going to get lost.

2) Speaking of driving, Washingtonians drive so s…l…o…w…l…y.  Seriously, it’s like they don’t actually want to get to where they’re going.  I’m sure many would say I’m just an overly aggressive CA driver who needs to relax and enjoy the ride.  To which I would respond, I’m actually an offensively defensive driver (it makes sense, just give it a second or two), constantly aware of my surrounding, and would be happy to relax once I’ve arrived at point B.  Maybe the Lord is trying to teach me patience.  I wonder if there is a short cut to learn the lesson? ;)

 3) Coffee is everywhere.  This is common knowledge, I know.  I’m not talking about just any coffee, I’m referring to drive thru (mom & pop) coffee stands/stops on the out-skirts of parking lots in the suburbs.  I still have yet to see a car actually driving through one.  I’m thinking that’s due to the “good” weather we’ve been having which likely motivates caffeine cravers alike to get out of the car and walk into a Starbucks while they can.

4) Washingtonians don’t use umbrellas.  Tourists use umbrellas.  Then they quickly learn why natives don’t bother.  The wind will ruin your rain-repellant, quick button pop up in one unseen gust.  And no, I didn’t learn this the hard way.  I learned by watching.  It was actually quite comical.  The local alternative is water proof bags and jackets, neither of which I own.  Sounds like I need to go shopping!

The 358 - one of two bus routes I can take to work


5) People who work in the city of Seattle take the bus.  That includes me.  Definitely a first.  Generally speaking, most people living in the state of CA drive to work.  It’s just easier.  In Seattle, driving in the city isn’t easy because busses on city streets are like semi trucks on I-5; they have entitlement complexes and take over.  Also, I learned an incredibly valuable lesson on my first day using public transportation: to ride busses it’s best to have the exact fare.  Actually, it’s imperative.  Otherwise you don’t ride or you over pay because “change” is a bad word and not allowed.  Luckily I was blessed with a gracious driver on day one and he let me ride for free since I hopped on with only a $20 in hand.  Rookie mistake, won’t happen again.

That’s all for now… more postcards to come soon!

2 comments:

  1. keep the posts coming, bre...i love this stuff! :)

    p.s. that street numbering sounds absurd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. there are so many things that make me laugh about this - because it is so true! First of all, YES! they do drive incredibly slow. I think it makes more sense here because of the snow, but I'm not sure what's wrong with the west side.
    Those awkward parking lot coffee shops are weird. I don't get it.
    I also learned the umbrella rule by watching...and by getting mocked when I carried it around in my backpack like we used to do in elementary school. It makes sense why they don't, but there are plenty of non windy days that I wish my california self wasn't so timid and would just pull out an umbrella instead of trying to tough it out, because let's be honest, i'm not that tough when it comes to cold.

    I feel like riding the bus is going to be a challenge at some point in time. I imagine this on days where you are running late and can't make the bus driver drive faster. Have you experienced this as a difficulty yet?

    ReplyDelete