Thursday, October 27, 2011

Water Wings

For the 5% of you who are still checking this, you might be wondering why it's been more than a week since my last postcard.  The answer is because I've been swimming.  Not literally of course, it's WAY to cold in the north for that.  And actually, I should say I've been attempting to swim.  That would be more accurate.  This is all in reference to work, which I hesitate to bore you with/ mention again because back to back posts about where I spend (way more than) one third of my day makes it seem like I have nothing else going on.  That is simply not at all true.  Life here has been quite full the last few weeks.  However, updating you on those activities will have to wait.  For now, let me tell you about (trying) to swim.
During LivingSocial training in D.C. I felt like we (the newbies) were given water wings and tossed into the middle of the ocean.  Semi-prepared, but keeping your head above water was a total learn by doing experience.  My first few weeks in Seattle the water wings slowly began to deflate as I was assigned a new market (or region) every week(ish).  Definitely more difficult to stay above water, but still manageable.  Over the last two weeks, all the remaining air evaporated from inside my water wings and somehow scuba-diving weights have taken there place.  So as you can imagine, I'm sinking a bit.  Which I why you haven't seen anything new from me. I'm getting well acquainted with the ocean that is work at LivingSocial.  The good news is that 1) I'm not alone in my sinking, other new people are too, 2) it's still really fun, and 3) a rescue boat in the from of this weekend is visible in the distance.  I'm really looking forward to the break and chance to catch my breath before diving back in on Monday.  My theory is the longer I tread water with weights, the better I'll become and soon enough I'll be able to add more.  Hopefully that hypothesis turns out to be true.
So since I obviously don't have a real "postcard" of me in the middle of the ocean with deflated water wings and scuba weights, this stock image will have to suffice.  I promise my next update won't be about work and will be a true postcard(s) from me.

2 comments:

  1. :) I love how thoroughness of this metaphor. Carrying it all the way through -- nice.

    Also, I didn't realize work was that overwhelming (is that an okay word to use?) That busyness sounds tough.

    What is this weekend? Fun stuff or mostly time to recuperate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. whew...so glad the swimming lessons you had growing up were effective! :-)

    ReplyDelete