Friday, January 20, 2012

Lessons

Since the snow storm currently passing through has literally consumed and crippled the entire Seattle area, I figured my first "real" snow day experiences probably warrant another postcard.  To fill you in, it's been snowing for pretty much two days straight.  Local news channels have dedicated their whole production to weather coverage - don't expect to hear about anything other than snow, driving conditions, falling trees and power outages when you watch.  It's actually kind of comical.  In Seattle it snows like it rains and by that I mean not in big, heavy droplets (or flakes) but a misty dusting.  So I'd say there is easily a foot and a half of  real snow on the ground, maybe a little more. But only a little. Still the city literally shut down.  Our LivingSocial offices are in the heart of the business district downtown and have been closed for two days now, possibly three depending on what happens tomorrow.  I'll admit, it's fun to be told to stay home (even though I did have to work).  And as a result of the weather imposed house arrest I've been confined to the past 48 hours, a few valuable life lessons have been learned.  So even if you're not wondering what they are, I'm going to share them now..
  •  If you have errands to run and drive a Honda, do them before it starts snowing.  Or you'll have to wait an extra three days.
  • If you live in an active area like Green Lake where people are outside all the time regardless of conditions, get a pair of cross country skis or snow shoes.  It will make fitting in much easier as you circle the lake instead of stumbling around in snowboarding boots.
  • Sometimes the weather man actually knows what he's talking about.  Better to play it safe and get groceries just in case. 
  • While you're at the groceries store, stock up on snack food.  Not junk snack food, but little munchies.  There's not much else to do when you're stuck inside.
  •  Speaking of being inside, don't stay there all day.  When it gets dark around 4:30pm and you no longer have the option of going out, cabin fever will set in.  It's inevitable.  I learned the hard way.
  • If you are going to venture out it's best to leave the snow and ice scrapper in the garage instead of inside the car covered in snow.  Rookie mistake.
I'm sure there are more, those are just the lessons that come to mind now.  Today I took my own advice and went for a stroll around Green Lake.  Here are a few of the white washed post cards from my afternoon...




2 comments:

  1. I love the snow couple on the bench - almost as cute as your Wasatch Snow guy! You are now a bonafide Washingtonian!
    love you!
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg, i definitely pulled that rookie move of leaving the ice scraper in the car while I was in Denver on business....it was terrible! Snow got everywhere and I was not a happy camper.
    Love your pics :)

    ReplyDelete