Saturday, December 31, 2011

Christmas

Postcard from CA - while enjoying a sun hug
I've only lived out of California for four months, but that short time has given me a new appreciation for the sun. Not just sunshine, sun hugs. Actually feeling the warmth provided by the bright light in the sky. During my trip home for Christmas, I was blessed with non stop blue skies. It was lovely.  In fact, the whole week was lovely.  And not just because of the sun. 
This was the first year of having an additional member join our five-some for family festivities. Maybe it's because he’s been in the picture a while (so we're used to him) or maybe all first Christmases are just this smooth, but having my brother in law Matt around was really fun.  At least for me.  (I hope he felt the same :))  While it did change the family dynamic a little, it was a good change.  The male ratio is improving. 
Family traditions remained the same this year; Christmas Eve at my parents house, Christmas day dinner at my aunts, and Bajarin (my mom’s side) family ladies tea.  I love the togetherness that abounds during the holidays.  I also love spending time at our family cabin in the mountains which we were able to squeeze in to the few days all of us were home.  Sleeping in, eating delicious food, hiking, reading, watching movies and great conversation filled up just about every hour of the trip.  Oh, we also put together a family puzzle.  It was a 3D puzzle of the Capital building.  So patriotic, I know.  Not a usual Pund family activity and despite my small contribution to the building project, it was exciting to celebrate the finished product. 
I’m back in Seattle now and celebrating the conclusion of an action packed year.  It was the canvas on which God painted new friendships, exciting adventures, an additional family member, heart-ache, laughter, sweet endings and new beginnings.  I know I’ve said it before, but I am blessed beyond measure.  So before the brand new canvas of twenty-twelve even makes an appearance, I choose to surrender each eventful brush-stroke of the coming year to the Master artist.  In His hands it always turns into a more beautiful picture than I could have imagined.  

2 comments:

  1. Sun hugs! What a great way to describe that feeling!

    :) I'm glad you have pleasant feelings toward the puzzle upon reflection...I think it should be a new form of tradition.

    Also, I don't know if you were aware of this or not, but the day after you left it was grey skies. Apparently California missed you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Erb,

    Love you. Love your blog. Love pretending to hear your cute little voice saying all of these precious and insightful sentences. Comet to Texas?

    xoxo,
    Beck

    ReplyDelete