Saturday, December 3, 2011

Three Months

Seeing as how there are only 30 days in November, December 1st marked three months since I moved to Seattle.  I can’t help but celebrate the new friendships, sister time, enjoyable work, great church community, and continued adventure.  Abundantly blessed doesn’t quite cover how I feel.  Since the last quarter of the year has been one big highlight, attempting to pick just one is relatively futile.  However, something I haven’t talked much about is fall.  The season of fall is simply splendid in Seattle.  I've had the pleasure of seeing leaves change color all over the county during these months in the past, but there is something different about Washington leaves.  After some thought I’ve decided the vibrantly bright yellows, oranges, and reds must stand out more here because of the distinct contrast against an abundance of other greenery.  There have been numerous times when I literally stopped to admire and soak in views, moments, or scenes covered in the Lord’s fingerprints.  Even if it was something as simple as the swirling of colorful leaves on the neighborhood street as a car drives by.  Seriously, I can’t get enough.  What I can get enough of is the cold.  It’s really cold here.  A damp freezer like chill is the best way to describe it.  And even when the sun does decide to make an appearance for a brief couple hours, the warmth barely cuts through the layers I’ve bundled up in to keep from freezing.  Some of you from more frigid parts of the country might be laughing right about now.  That’s fine, laugh away.  But when you’re done laughing, feel free to send me recommendations of how to stay warm :)  Despite the cold, it has been fun to experience a real fall season.  It’s taught me two things: one, don’t complain about the random 80 degree fall days in California, and two, cameras fall short of capturing the dynamic artistry of heavenly postcards.

1 comment:

  1. "Some of you from more frigid parts of the country might be laughing right about now. That’s fine, laugh away. But when you’re done laughing, feel free to send me recommendations of how to stay warm :)"

    haha - that's funny. i've noticed the key to staying warm is keeping your ears and hands warm (i know we were told this when we were little, but it wasn't completely necessary to know until recently)
    this translates to always having gloves or your hands in your pockets and ALWAYS something on your ears - that is, if you really want to stay warm. Let's crochet some ear warmers over break :)

    ReplyDelete