Thursday, May 31, 2012

Sunsets

When change happens in someone’s life, a common question for family and friends to ask is “how are things?”  This is most definitely true of my move to WA.  And since part of my change involves a different climate, the second question that follows is almost always about the weather or rain or cold, and how terrible it must be to live in the gloom ever day.  To which I respond, “it’s really not that bad”.  Honestly, it’s not.  I’ll let those of you who aren’t familiar with the Pacific Northwest in on a little secret… it really doesn’t rain here as much as you’d think.  It’s more of a light mist.  What I call “California rain” (aka actual rain drops) doesn’t happen all that frequently.  However, the lack of real rain doesn’t mean there is a lack of cloud cover.  It’s cloudy a lot. Something I hadn’t taken into consideration is how constant grayness during the day also equates to lack of color during sunset.  As a result, I have a new found appreciation for the magical way a setting sun makes everything glow.  It’s genuinely exciting.  A couple weeks ago we had several days of sunshine and yes, amazingly vibrant sunsets.  This is one of them overlooking Greenlake…

No comments:

Post a Comment