Monday, October 21, 2013

Being Magellan

The last few weeks have been filled with exploration, which I simply define as experiencing something new. This could be as grand as traversing a new country or as easy as trying a hole-in-the-wall restaurant around the corner. Whatever it is, the discovery just has to be a first.

Having out of town friends visit is always a good reason for exploring. A couple weeks ago my fellow adventure seeking roommate, Chelsey, and her friend Jenny invited me to join their ice cave journey. Turns out, there is a place called Big Four Ice Caves just over an hour outside Seattle. Having been to Alaska and seen the mammothness of glaciers, I'm going to take the liberty of calling these so called "caves", mini glaciers with tunnels. In typical Seattle fashion it rained for 90% of our trip, but the discovery was so worth a few water drops. Here are a few postcards:


Some perspective... I'm standing at the mouth of
the middle cave entry (see picture above)
 


 

Another recent discovery is a new coffee shop in the heart of Pikes Place Market called Storyville Coffee. They've been around for a few years on Bainbride Island focusing on roasting delicious coffee beans, and decided to share the wealth of coffee goodness with the general public by opening a retail location. For anyone fortunate enough to have learned of their coolness in September, Storyville treated to complimentary pastries and coffee as a soft opening, word of mouth marketing strategy. It totally worked on me. Great location, awesome logo, welcoming ambiance, rich coffee, and I'd argue the best cinnamon roll I've ever had (and I've eaten my fair share of cinnamon rolls), I'd recommend visitors and locals alike check out Storyville for your next cup of java.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment